Sunday, April 16, 2006

Must read NYtimes article on Rostropovich


A very moving article; I especially like the following quotes in the article;
"He was the most important man in my life, after my father," Mr. Rostropovich said. "Sometimes when I'm conducting, I see his face coming to me. Sometimes it's not really a happy face — I conduct maybe a bit too slow, so I conduct faster, and the face disappears."

Also
"When he played the concerto for me in St. Petersburg, I was so impressed," Mr. Rostropovich said, "and he told me: 'Slava, do you really like this composition, or not so much like it? Because if you tell me you like, then I dedicate to you this composition.' I was in so deep shock.

"After that I so loved him, I learned it by memory in four days. I then came with my pianist to Shostakovich and said, 'I would like to play your concerto for you.' He tells me, 'Slava, one second, I give you some music stands.' I tell him, 'Not needed, my friend.' It was the most fantastic moment in my life."

And
"Extremes are absolutely needed for Shostakovich," Mr. Rostropovich said. "He once told me something that I tell to all orchestras when I am rehearsing. 'Slava,' he said, 'if I want to insult some musician, I tell him, "You are not a real musician, you are just a mezzo-fortiste." ' "

I love that!

No comments: